Who doesn’t love cupcakes? At work we used to get them every time someone had a birthday. Then I went vegan, and all I could do was stare at the lovely red velvet cupcakes everyone else was eating and dream of cupcakes past.
Enough of that, I said to myself. Here’s an awesome vegan red velvet cupcake recipe with the traditional cream cheese frosting, also vegan. I just made this recipe a few moments ago and it’s delicious! And the cakes rose up and everything – no doorstops here. This recipe makes about 24 traditional sized cupcakes, with just enough frosting for all.
2 cups soy milk
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2.5 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 tbsp pureed applesauce
3 – 4 tsp red food coloring
4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup earth balance “butter”, room temperature
1/2 cup Tofutti “Better than Cream Cheese”, room temperature
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups confectioner’s sugar
1. Add vinegar to soy milk, mix well and set aside to curdle.
2. Put flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a bowl. Whisk together. Then sift these dry ingredients together into another bowl.
3. Add to the vinegar / soy milk mixture vegetable oil, applesauce, food coloring and vanilla extract. Whisk together.
4. Pour liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, whisk well. Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 full, and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or so.
5. Break up the “butter” into little pieces in a large bowl. Do the same for the Tofutti. Add the lemon juice and vanilla extract, then whisk until creamy.
6. Add the confectioner’s suger slowly, 1/2 cup at a time, whisking it into the butter / Tofutti mixture. Keep adding until the 4 cups are done and the frosting is smooth and fluffy.
7. Frost cupcakes when cool.